shrimp scallop pot pie
1 TBSP chopped garlic
1 TBSP chopped shallots
4 TBSP unsalted butter
2 TBSP all-purpose flour
¼ cup white wine
1 cup clam juice
1 cup heavy cream
8 strands saffron
1 TBSP chopped dill
2 TBSP chopped chives
1 TBSP Dijon mustard
Kosher salt and fresh, ground back pepper
1 lb. 16 to 20 shrimp, de-shelled, no tail
1 lb. dry pack scallops, cut in half
1 large Puff Pastry sheet (keep in freezer until needed)
1 egg, beaten
* Split the butter in half. Melt 2 TBSP in the microwave and then add in the flour to make a roux. This is what will thicken your sauce base for this recipe. Hold on the side.
* Season the shrimp and scallops, and sear in a non-stick pan on high heat to quickly sear and brown them. Do not cook them all the way. Pull out of pan and hold on the side.
* Next, pull out the Puff Pastry and place on a cutting board. Once it is halfway defrosted, take the casserole dish that you plan to bake this in and place on the pastry. Cut out the pastry going an extra inch around the size of the casserole. Place the pastry dough back in the freezer until ready to use.
* Take the remaining 2 TBSP of butter and melt in a large stockpot on medium-high heat. Add the garlic, shallots and saffron and let simmer for several minutes. Add the white wine and reduce down 50 percent. Then add the heavy cream and mustard and simmer for 15 minutes.
* Add your roux mix (melted butter and flour) to the cream mix and whisk in well. Let simmer another 15 minutes so the flour can thicken up the mix. You want this to be a thick mix, as the shrimp and scallops will leak out liquid when baking. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
* Once the flavor and consistency is correct, add the dill, chives, shrimp and scallops. Once this is done, pull out the Puff Pastry and let it defrost until soft and flexible.
* Pour the shrimp/scallop mix inside a large casserole dish. Top with the Puff Pastry and then brush with the beaten egg. This will make the dough crust shiny.
* Place in the oven and cook at 425 degrees for 25 minutes until the crust is shiny.