The Marine Fish Conservation Network (Network) is seeking an organizer to conduct outreach to recreational anglers. This position is a 3-month contract position with the possibility of renewal. The location for the position is open. Strong interest in recreational fishing is mandatory.
The Network is the largest national coalition solely dedicated to promoting the long-term sustainability of marine fish by pressing for changes in the way we manage our oceans. With a coalition of over 175 members - including environmental organizations, commercial and recreational fishing associations, aquariums, and marine science groups - the Network uses its distinct voice and the best available science to educate policymakers, the fishing industry, and the public about the need for sound conservation and better management practices.
Candidates must have extensive grass roots organizing experience and be an active and avid saltwater angler. Familiarity with working with advocates and the media and knowledge of federal fisheries management policies is a plus.
* Identify recreational fishing groups nationwide.
* Make presentations to recreational fishing groups on the Network's efforts to protect and strengthen the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (MSA).
* Conduct outreach at recreational fishing events such as fishing tournaments, fishing expos, etc.
* Solicit endorsements from recreational fishing groups for the Network's effort to protect and strengthen the MSA.
* Solicit endorsements from individual recreational anglers for the Network's effort to protect and strengthen the MSA.
* Conduct media outreach including outreach to recreational fishing publications, and recreational fishing programs on radio and television.
* Participate in and help organize policy maker education visits with Members of Congress either in Washington, DC or in Member districts.
To learn more about the Network, please visit our website:
Deadline to apply - March 31, 2006
Please send cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Eric Rardin, Director of Regional Operations, Marine Fish Conservation Network, 600 Pennsylvania Ave., SE, Suite 210, Washington, DC 20003,
(202) 543-5509 (phone), (202) 543-5774 (fax), firstname.lastname@example.org