Logging In
Invalid username or password.
Incorrect Login. Please try again.

not a member?

Signing up could earn you gear and it helps to keep offensive content off of our site.

August 31, 2007

Nautical Knowledge

Improve your knowledge and sound like an expert!

MOLD - A form, often made of fiberglass, into which the laminate is laid, producing a fiberglass hull in the same shape as the mold.

POLYESTER RESIN - The least expensive resin used in fiberglass construction.

QUARTER - The part of a vessel's hull side between the transom and 1/3 of the way forward.

RADIUS CURVES - A design using gentle curves rather than right angles, straight lines and sharp corners.

RAM - A liquid- or gas-filled cylinder that lifts and/or holds open a hatch or window.

RUNNING SURFACE - The hull area from the chine to the keel, upon which a planing hull rides.

ROLL MOMENT - The distance a hull rolls laterally as a wave passes beneath it from one side to another.

ROLL TRANSITIONS - The speed at which a hull changes direction while rolling in a beam sea.

SALOON (also SALON) - Main social cabin or "living room" of a boat.

SCUPPER - Holes or drains designed to allow water to quickly leave a deck area.

SEACOCK - A thru-hull valve designed to shut off an intake pipe or drain between the vessel's interior and the sea.

STATEROOM - A cabin containing sleeping accommodations.

STRINGERS - The main underdeck support beams running lengthwise and athwartships that give a vessel its strength and structural integrity.

SHEER LINE (also SHEER) - The profile of a vessel running fore-and-aft under the gunwale.

SOLE - The deck upon which you walk: cabin sole, cockpit sole, etc.

STARBOARD - The right side of a vessel, looking forward.

STERN - The back end of a vessel.

T-TOP - A sun shade structure on a center console boat that also supports a rocket launcher, lights, outriggers, antennas and an overhead electronics box.

TACKLE CENTER - Usually a module that houses tackle storage and a bait-prep center.

THRU-HULL - A non-corrosive fitting mounted in the hull to connect an intake hose or drain to the sea.

TOERAIL - A separate rail at foot level in the cockpit under which you lock your toes when fighting or landing a fish. Also a rail around the bow deck to keep your foot from accidentally sliding off the deck.

TOPSIDE - The area of a hull between the waterline and the gunwale, also called freeboard. Also, any area of a vessel above belowdecks.

TRANSOM - The section of hull that forms the stern and closes off the hull sides.

TRIAXIAL FIBERGLASS - Construction material consisting of fiberglass strands woven in three directions.

TRIM - The attitude or inclination of a hull or engine drive.

TRIM TAB - A horizontal metal sheet or vertical tab at the chine on the transom that can change the running attitude of a boat both fore-and-aft and laterally to counteract weight distribution and wind/sea conditions.

TUMBLEHOME - The outward bulge of a hull between the waterline and the gunwale.

V-BERTH - Usually the forward berth of the boat, located in the bow. Sometimes has a triangular insert to make it a larger double rather than conjoined twins.

VACUUM-BAG - A construction process that employs a bag and suction to squeeze all air out of a laminate, preventing air bubbles, voids and unequal areas of resin buildup.

VARIABLE DEADRISE - A deadrise angle that changes constantly from bow to stern rather than only part of the way down the hull.

VINYLESTER RESIN - A resin more expensive than polyester that helps prevent osmotic blistering.

WIDE-OPEN THROTTLE (WOT) - The absolute maximum speed a boat's power can produce.

WINDLASS - Machinery used to effortlessly raise and lower an anchor.